Monday, April 2, 2012

Troubadour & Trobairitz

These two poems share a similar story of longing, heartbreaks, and unfulfilled desires. The emotions love brings out of these poets are very strong. Jaufre Rudel speaks about how his lover is "lands away" from him. He speaks about his longing to see her. He says I must love and not be loved. The depression and heart aches are evident. Sometimes being broken up with is easier than being apart from your lover because it forces you to move on, and you know it's the end. However the separation allows no reassurance and sense of commitment. The two poems in troubadour and trobairitz share a similar foundation of faithless, hopeless lovers. Rudel says, "But the path is blocked to my desire, a great curse on this godfather who doomed to be unloved." He also says how he wishes he were a prisoner for her. The extreme emotions love brings out are spoken about in both of these texts.
The Countess of DIA clearly brings forth a women's voice and thoughts. The poem starts off with her speaking about how she is longing for a lover. When she finds out she feels uncertain and worried. "I pray him to believe my words and not let anyone persuade him that i ever would betray him, except I found myself betrayed. Her lovers name is Floris, and she sings a song to him and tells him how she has been "tricked and cheated" by him. She finds comfort in the deiciving vindictive break-up. "There's one thing though that brings me recompense: I've never wronged you under any circumstance , and I love you more than Seguin loved Valensa. At least in love I have my victory. This is a very feminine trait and mentality because a man would not make that connection or recgognieze it. She tries to figure out why he has wronged her and decides it is his desire to sustain pride and superority. She says, "too much pride has undone many men."

No comments:

Post a Comment