Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Genesis 25-28, 32-33

1. There are many problems that arise from the first two born twins. They both battle each other for the acception of their parents. Isaac favors Esau while Rebecca favors Jacob. Esau's role is to serve Jacob because Jacob is the younger twin. Isaac and Rebecca seem to think that because they have twins, one parent should favor a twin while the other favors the other twin. This results in competition between the two brothers. They are very different which adds to the social problems between them. "When the boys grew up, Esau was a skillful hunter, a man of the field, while Jacob was a quiet man, dwelling in tents. Isaac loved Esau because he ate of his game, but Rebeckah loved Jacob."

2. The role of the parents, Isaac and Rebecca seem to be to start trouble and confliction between the two brothers. The fact that they favor one son as opposed to loving them equally shows their character. Rebecca is very vindictive and deceiving because she tells Jacob of Isaac's wishes to eat a meal of which he wants to be provided by Esau. Rebecca takes advantage of the fact that her husband can't see. Isaac says to Esau, "Behold I am old; I do not know the day of my death. Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me, and prepare for me delicious food, such as I love, and bring it to me so that I may eat, that my soul may bless you before I die." Rebecca then goes behind her husband's back and says to Jacob, "I heard your father speak to your brother Esau, 'Bring me game and prepare for me delicious food, that I may eat it and bless you before the LORD before I die.' Now therefore, my son, obey my voice as I command you. Go to the flock and bring me two good young goats so that I may prepare from them delicious food for your father such as he loves. And you shall bring it to your father to eat, so that he may bless you before he dies."

3. I interpret this wrestling as Jacob's real chance to become blessed. He is given a new identity because of his quarrel with what seems to be god. "Your name shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel, for you have striven with God and with men, you have prevailed." Jacob is certain that he has encountered god face to face and has been blessed by him personally. Jacob takes on the role of his father and his father's father by being blessed by the divine.

No comments:

Post a Comment